Monday, December 19, 2011

Meeting with Jen Gerrity October 25th

For our Tuesday October meeting, we had a joint meeting with the Central Pinellas group at the Lions Club Beach House in Treasure Island. Puppy Raising Services Field Representative and Southeastern trainer Jen Gerrity led the meeting, starting with an obedience exercise outside at dusk on the sand behind the beach house. While the setting was pretty, I didn't get any good pictures outside or many inside, so this post will be a little light on visuals!

Jen offered us all a way to help deal with our pups when they are distracted by other dogs, suggesting that we get our pups to focus on something else, especially using the "come" command to bring the pup away from the distraction and get his attention back on us. She demonstrated the technique with one of the pups and then had us practice with our pups in small groups.

After we all had a chance to practice the distraction exercise, we came inside for a short break with refreshments (thanks, Judy!) before settling in for a question-and-answer period with Jen.

Here is Bill with a pup who really wants his question answered. (Bonus points to anyone who knows which pup this is. Maybe his question is, "I'm so cute, why don't you know my name?" Listen, bub, when you get to middle age and you can't remember where you put your favorite toy, you'll understand.) (Edit: When I wrote this post, I suspected that only one pup at that meeting would be looking at me that way, but I couldn't figure out why he was with Bill. Sure enough, that picture-perfect pup is Awesome Dawson.)

Unfortunately, just when things were getting good, I had to step outside with a puppy for an extended potty break, so I don't know and thus can't share the good information that I'm sure Jen gave out. Nonetheless, I think everyone was pleased to have access to a real live Southeastern trainer, and we look forward to Jen's return.

No comments:

Post a Comment